Following the ILC’s 2019 annual event, held for the first time in Denmark, the Steering Committee worked together to develop a key set of strategies to how we can radically transform the way in which fundamental care is delivered, researched and taught.
These strategies form the basis of the ILC’s mission statement and values.
Our mission is outlined in 5 key statements:
- Value: Fundamental care must be foundational to all caring activities, systems and institutions.
- Talk: Fundamental care must be explicitly articulated in all caring activities, systems and institutions.
- Do: Fundamental care must be explicitly actioned and evaluated in all caring activities, systems and institutions.
- Own: Fundamental care must be owned by each individual who delivers care, works in a system that is responsible for care or works in an institution whose mission is to deliver care.
- Research: Fundamental care must undergo systematic and high-quality investigations to generate the evidence needed to inform care practices and shape health systems and education curricula.
Resource: Kitson, A., Carr, D., Conroy, T., Feo, R., Gronkjaer, M., Huisman-de Waal, G., Jackson, D., Jeffs, L., Merkley, J., Muntlin Athlin, A., Parr, J., Richards, D., Sørensen, E., & Wengström, Y. (2019). Speaking Up for Fundamental Care: The ILC Aalborg Statement. BMJ Open, 9, e033077. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-033077